Dear Mr. Albert Gore:
This letter is being sent to you on behalf of the Qatar Awareness Campaign Coalition. The purpose is to inform you and the public of the activities of Qatar, the country which owns Al Jazeera America, the network which was established following your sale of CurrentTV to Al Jazeera for $500 million in 2013.
We urge to you read the information below, which includes evidence that Qatar is arguably the preeminent sponsor of terror in the world today. It is a benefactor of the genocidal armies of ISIS, al Qaeda, and Boko Haram; it is involved in Taliban narcotics trafficking through a relationship with the Pakistani National Logistics Cell; and profits from operating a virtual slave state. Qatar is involved in terror operations from Nigeria to Gaza to Syria to Iraq.
So the public understands why this letter is addressed to you, here is pertinent background on your involvement with the Doha-based network and their history.
- In 1996, then Emir of Qatar, Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, provided a $137 million loan to start Al Jazeera. Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani was the ruling monarch of Qatar from 1995-2013.
- Al Jazeera is home to the Muslim Brotherhood’s spiritual leader (and Morsi-backer) Yusuf al-Qaradawi, who reaches an estimated 80 million viewers each week.
- In 2004, you and your partner Joel Hyatt (who is a Trustee of the Qatar-financed Brookings Institute) purchased Newsworld International from Vivendi Universal Entertainment to establish CurrentTV. Vivendi was (and is) partially owned by Qatar Holding.
- In 2013, CurrentTV was sold to Al Jazeera for a reported $500 million. Owning 20% of the company, you reportedly profitedpersonally $100 million from the sale.
- In September 2014, you and Hyatt sued Al Jazeera for funds that remained in escrow. Al Jazeera has now filed a countersuit.
Your lawsuits notwithstanding, in light of Al Jazeera’s consistent and vocal support for the Muslim Brotherhood, we ask that you consider the attached sourced report on Qatar’s activities. The links cited are vetted and credible sources. We hope you take the time to verify the truth of the statements for yourself.
After doing so, the Coalition of the Qatar Awareness Campaign calls on you to exert due influence on the Qatari government to cease any type of involvement in all forms of Islamic terrorism, slavery, and drug trafficking!
Frank J. Gaffney, Jr.
President & CEO, Center for Security Policy
Paul E Vallely, US Army (Ret)
Chairman, Stand Up America
Lt. Col. Allen B. West (US Army, Ret)
& the entire Qatar Awareness Campaign Coalition.
** Select signatures as of 9/27. The Qatar Awareness Campaign Coalition is comprised of more than 25 journalists, national security experts, publishers, and independent researchers. To view all Coalition participants, please visit the Campaign’s website.